Firstly, I hope everyone is keeping safe. Secondly, I hope everyone is taking this time to rest and take care of their physical and mental health. Right, then let’s get to it!
We’ve done quite a few pizza variations on the blog but this one’s by far the easiest (which is just what we need right now). All you need is some baguette bread and cheese, the rest you probably already have in your pantry. I read an article the other day where a health economist advised us NOT to use this time to try out for MasterChef but to conserve our money and only cook with ingredients you already have at home. Despite scoffing at this initially, I realised he’s not wrong! I’ll try and keep that in mind when coming up with recipes for these #quarantinetimes.
If you are interested in more pizza recipes you can find one for ham & pineapple pizza rolls, here (YES, pineapples DO belong on pizza. Case closed!) and another detailed recipe for pizza dough, here.
Serving: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 baguette bread, halved and cut into as many portions as preferred
- Spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated (NB- I didn’t have any mozzarella. It would be better to have ½ cup cheddar and ½ cup mozzarella)
- Parmesan Cheese
For the Pizza sauce:
- 3 tomatoes (blanched, peeled and grated)
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 medium-sized onion (sliced)
- Herbal sea salt
- Royco Mchuzi Mix (Chicken Flavour)
- Olive oil
- Pour olive oil into a saucepan over medium- heat. Add in onions, followed by the garlic and sautee until the garlic is nicely fragrant and the onions have softened
- Add tomatoes into the saucepan followed by your preferred spices and salt. Stir the mixture and cover with a saucepan for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add in the oregano once tomatoes are cooked, place the sauce aside to thicken as you prepare the chicken.
For the Chicken:
This is all up to you and how you like your chicken. I felt like having mine saucy, sweet & sour.
- 2 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp White pepper
- Tabasco sauce (4/5 drops)
- 1 tsp Dark Superior Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Place butter in a pan. Once it melts, add in chicken cubes followed by salt, white pepper and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients (sugar, tabasco sauce, white vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce) together and add into the pan. Fry until chicken has cooked.
- Add in the rosemary, and cover the pan.
Time to assemble! (Lol! I really do love meals you can assemble, it’s oddly satisfying.)
- Butter the baguette bread as in the picture and place in the oven for 5 minutes to toast.
- Once they’ve toasted, follow this order:
- Pizza sauce
- Sweet & sour chicken
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle parmesan
- Spring onions
- Place in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted (about 5-8 minutes at 180° Celsius).
- Serve hot!
Stay safe & above all else, do not lose hope.