Warning: This session of #cookingwithCICI may be upsetting to some people. Why? Because it involves putting pineapple on pizza. Yes, we are aware that there’s a group of people who cannot stand pineapple on pizza. Which is just STRANGE in our opinion. If you do fall under that category, read no further. If you don’t, then we can confidently assure you that your taste-buds are in for one epic journey if you try this recipe out.
PREP TIME: 30 MINS
COOK TIME: 25 MINS
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium sized onion
- 8 slices of ham
- 1½ tbsp mixed herbs
- 5 slices of canned pineapple
NOTE: Feel free to use a rich pizza sauce instead of tomato paste, it would give it a better flavour. Also, add cheese as generously as you want to though there’s no such thing as too much cheese -ha ha! Additional salt is not necessary if you use salted butter.
1. Preheat oven to 1800c and spread butter on baking tray.
2. Sift flour into a bowl and rub in butter until the mixture looks and feels crumbly. Slowly add in the milk and mix, forming a soft dough that is moist but does not stick to the walls of the bowl.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
4. Roll out dough roughly into the shape of a rectangle about 5 mm thick then spread tomato paste leaving 2 cm off the edges.
5. Chop up the onion, ham, pineapple. Combine, add in the mixed herbs and mix well.
6. Spread half of the cheese evenly over the tomato paste, then the ham and pineapple mixture, and finally a layer of the remaining cheese.
7. Carefully roll up the dough along its length.
8. Using a sharp knife cut the roll into 9 even slices and place flat on the baking tray.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.
Don’t forget to try it out and let us know what you think in the comments below. Also like and share with your friends and family!
— CICI and Ivy xxxx