Heya guys, today on #cookingwithCICI, we’ve got a recipe that’s both healthy AND super tasty; Chicken Avocado Surprise. I’m sure you’re all wondering, why is it a surprise? Well… it’s because your mouth will be in total shock and awe once it gets a mouthful of this. Don’t believe us? Try it out for yourself and let us know how it goes in the comments!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 heaped tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 5 chicken thighs
- 3 medium sized avocados
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 8 to 10 leaves of lettuce
- 3 tablespoons of sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil; plus more for frying the chicken
- 4 strips of bacon
NOTE: We used chicken thighs but alternatively you can use 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts to make the work easier. Also, sesame seeds can be used in place of chia seeds.
1. To marinate the chicken;
a) Crush/grate the cloves of garlic then in a bowl mix in the honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil and salt.
b) Add the chicken thighs and cover with cling film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. While the chicken is marinating, lightly toast the chia seeds on low heat for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Once toasted they should taste more or less like sesame seeds. (Chia seeds can be eaten as they are but they have to be toasted to prevent them from soaking up the salad dressing and becoming mushy.)
3. In a pan, fry the bacon till cooked, though not too crispy. Chop them up into cubes and set aside.
4. Wash the lettuce leaves and roughly cut them up into bite sizes using your hands NOT a knife. Set aside.
5. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves, and then chop the onion into long strips.
6. Once marinating time is over, remove the chicken from the fridge then remove the skin from the thighs. (For all chicken skin lovers, place the skins aside and fry them later on). Place the marinade aside. To expose more flesh, cut through the chicken thighs with a sharp knife such that it looks almost halved but the flesh is still on the bone. In a sauce pan fry the chicken thighs in about 4 tablespoons of oil. Leave the chicken to cook through for 15 minutes. Cover with a lid but remember to keep checking on it.
7. Meanwhile, sieve the marinade that had remained. This is what you will use as your salad dressing.
8. When the chicken is ready, leave it to rest for 5 minutes then remove the flesh from the bone and cut it into strips.
9. Cut the avocado into long strips.
10. Finally, to bring the salad together; in a large bowl, put a layer of the vegetables and a bit of the dressing then toss it. Then sprinkle half of each of the other parts of the salad (chicken, bacon and avocado). Add some more of the dressing. Repeat this process again. NB: When tossing, be careful so as not to smush the avocado.
11. Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to like, comment and share!
—CICI and Ivy xxx
CiciApril 7, 2017
Mouth wateringly delicious! ♥
IvyApril 9, 2017
You know it! ??
JaelApril 7, 2017
Chicken lovers ??
IvyApril 9, 2017
In the house!????
Wa NjeriApril 11, 2017
You’re full of surprises Ivy
Love that recipe
IvyApril 16, 2017
Haha I’d like to think so!
I’m glad you like it. 🙂