I don’t know if its just me but the smell and taste of cinnamon always feels like a warm hug and being home. So you can imagine how just one bite of these apple cinnamon rolls feels like! Now that the rains are kinda-sorta upon us, there are going to be a lot more nights spent in with a warm cup of your favourite beverage and a delicious pastry to bring it all together.
They’re relatively easy to make and worth every bite. Try it out the next time the sky looks dull and gloomy! It”ll brighten you up from the inside, that’s for sure.
SERVING: 12 portions
PREPARATION: 2 ½ HOURS
TIME: 30 minutes
For the apples:
- 2 green or red-green apples(thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter/margarine
- Juice of 1 small lemon
For the dough:
- 2 ¾ cups of all purpose flour + ¼ cup for kneading
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- ¼ cup sugar + 1 tsp
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup room temperature milk
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter (melted)
- 1 egg
For the cinnamon filling:
- 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
1. For the dough, begin with placing the melted butter, milk, 1 tsp of sugar, warm water and yeast in a cup and set it aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the yeast to grow.
2. As the yeast is growing, prepare the cinnamon filling by mixing the sugar, margarine and cinnamon to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Chop the apples into halves then cut into thin slices that almost resemble a crescent shape. Squeeze lemon juice on the apple slices to prevent them turning brown.
4. Microwave the slices, butter and sugar in a bowl for 2 minutes to soften the slices. Once done, cover and set aside.
5. In the bowl with the flour mixture, create a hole at the centre and slowly pour in the yeast mixture and the egg and gradually mix together until a sticky but firm dough forms.
6. Flour a flat surface with the remaining ¼ cup flour (use a little at a time) and knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it no longer sticks to the palm of your hands. This is the first round of kneading.
7. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film or with a cloth and leave to rise for 1 hour. Place the bowl in a preferably warm area.
8. After an hour passes, repeat the kneading process and leave the dough to rise for another 30 minutes. This is the second round of kneading.
9. After the 30 minutes, knead again and roll out the dough into a rectangular shape.
10. Spread the cinnamon filling evenly.
11. Cut the dough into 12 horizontal strips, place the sliced apples in an overlapping fashion and start to roll the dough to form the complete roll. Repeat the process until the 12 are done.
12. Place the rolls on an oiled muffin tray or a baking tray and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180o.
13. Finally, place the rolls in the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 180o.
Serve with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
Don’t forget to like, comment and share!
— CICI and Ivy xxx
Johness MutisoApril 25, 2019
Looks amazing, i most definitely have to try them ??
IvyApril 25, 2019
Please do! They are just as amazing as they look! 🙂
Saucy FlairApril 25, 2019
Looks sooo good! Yum ?
IvyApril 25, 2019
Thank you Tiffany! ?
FlorenceApril 27, 2019
Looking absolutely delicious !
IvyApril 27, 2019
Thank you! ??
TaraMay 1, 2019
I love how the rolls look like roses ?? it’s so aesthetically pleasing.
IvyMay 1, 2019
Thank you Tara! It almost makes you not wanna eat them!