I came across a meme the other day, about how food bloggers write paragraphs upon paragraphs of apparently non-relevant details of their life before they get to the actual recipe—at the very bottom of the blog post. This one in particular seemed to go on about her husband and that one time she went on a summer vacation to a cabin in some far away woods. I laughed at it (well..more of that snort we do when we’re scrolling through the internet and see something funny) because there was a lot of truth to it but then I started wondering; what’s a recipe, really, without those anecdotes?
Every single scent or taste of food that excited your taste buds; every meal you’ve shared with friends and family has influenced you in some way or another. If recounting all those specific events that may seem irrelevant to the reader are what led you to make that delicious melt-in-your-mouth raspberry peach pie or that savoury flavour full pork-roast , i’m all here for it! Write away…
With that being said, let me still not risk becoming a meme. The inspiration for this Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Filling recipe is simple: it’s one of CICI’s favourite breakfasts, plus we both really love bananas—and cake.
So here you go! Try out the recipe and let us know how it goes? Or better yet…try it, add your own spin to it and make sure to write down those small bits of your life that led you to making that recipe the way it is. 🙂
For the Banana Bread:
- 2 ripe bananas-mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- quarter cup melted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese filling:
- 150g cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- ½ cup Sugar
1. Mash bananas together with cinnamon, baking soda, salt, vanilla, eggs, butter and sugar until well-combined.
2. Gradually mix in the flour a little at a time. Be careful not to over-mix.
3. To make the cream cheese filling, whisk all the necessary ingredients together till smooth and creamy.
4. In a greased bread pan, pour in two thirds of the batter then proceed to pour in the cream cheese filling and lightly smooth over the top to make sure it’s evenly coated. (The bread pan we had wasn’t large enough for the amount of batter we had so we used a round cake tin.)
5. Use the remaining batter to fill the pan, smooth over the top as necessary.
6. Bake in an 180oc oven for 40-50 minutes until the top is golden and the centre is no longer shaky. At this point, an inserted toothpick should come out clean. Note that the cream cheese will not completely solidify.
7. Once baked cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
8. Serve with a cup of spiced coffee (which you can find the recipe to here) and enjoy!
Don’t forget to like, comment and share!
— CICI and Ivy xxx