Heya guys! I think we all know the cold season has now properly set in in Nairobi. Other parts of the country too, like Limuru with all its fog and Nyahururu with its
snow hailstones.? Well, not to worry, Cici and I have come to your rescue with our usual remedies. Some ridiculously delicious recipes that you can easily try out in the comfort of your own home. All you need is an hour or so to spare and you’ll soon after be cooped up with a slice of raspberry lemon upside-down cake and some hot chocolate. Mmmhm…sounds good, doesn’t it? Let’s get you started then.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 ½ cups self raising flour/mandazi flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter plus additional 2 tbsp
- 1 packet fresh raspberries
- ¾ cup sugar plus additional 2 tbsp
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180oc
2. Prepare your baking dish by spreading 2 tbsp of melted butter at the bottom of the dish followed by 2 tbsp of sugar. Spread butter on the sides of the baking dish as well.
3. Arrange the raspberries uniformly at the bottom while ensuring that they are evenly spaced out and they do not completely touch the edges of the baking dish. (to prevent them from sticking to the sides while in the oven)
4. In a bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and melted butter. Whisk it all together till it’s light and fluffy. To the mixture, add the lemon rind, vanilla essence, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
5. Pour in one cup of flour and mix it thoroughly followed by a cup of milk. Repeat this step with the remainder of the flour and milk until the batter is light and thin.
6. Pour the batter in to the baking dish and put it into the oven and leave for 50 minutes.
7. Remove it from the oven when ready. You will know this when you insert a fork at the center of the cake and it comes out clean. (If its not ready, leave it to cook for 15 more minutes at 140oc)
8. Once the baking is done leave the cake to cool completely. Cut off the top part of the cake until it’s level and won’t topple over once you turn it. After cutting it, slowly turn over the cake onto a flat plate or tray.
9. Serve and enjoy as it is or with whipped cream, cream cheese frosting or even crushed biscuits.
Don’t forget to like, comment and share!
—CICI and Ivy xxx