Today on #cookingwithCICI, we got a little inspired by BURGERFEST. When the week of tasting scrumptious burgers sadly came to an end, we decided we hadn’t had enough. And as a result, came the glorious idea to whip up some oven roasted beef burgers with caramelized onions. Sounds heavenly, doesn’t it? Since we’ve already got your taste buds watering, you can find the recipe below and get cooking!
- 6 burger buns
- Aluminium foil
- Cheese (optional)
For Beef patties:
- 500g mined beef
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Breadcrumbs or 2 slices of plain bread
- 1 egg
For Caramelized onions:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 100g butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 220°c.
2. To make burger patties, in a small bowl, mix the minced beef, salt, black pepper, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs. (If you do not have breadcrumbs you could soak two slices of bread in milk until it becomes mushy – and looks not too appealing, haha! If the meat is fatty, you don’t have to add in the mixture. It’s mainly used where you have lean meat so as to add moisture to it. It also adds flavour to the patty.)
3. Form 6 patties (four inches wide and one inch thick – don’t worry if that sounds too big, they will shrink a little as they cook.) In each of the patties, form a shallow hole at the center, this will help to tell if the insides of the patties are cooking. As it cooks, water will settle in this hole; this is a good sign.
4. Place these 6 patties on a oven grill lined with aluminium foil and leave to cook for 15 minutes on each side or until ready. (Do not press the patties as they will lose moisture.) Once ready, remove from the oven.
5. As the patties are cooking in the oven, prepare the caramelized onions.
i) In a wide shallow pan heat the olive oil and butter until it’s hot and melted.
ii) Pour in the cup of chopped onions (cut from root to tip). After a few minutes, sprinkle some salt over the onions, and if you want, add some sugar to help with the caramelization process. You can add a little water to the pan in order to keep the onions from drying out.
iii) Cook, stirring every few minutes until the onions are rich, brown colour.
6. Cut the burger buns into half; spread one side with mayonnaise (we used the underside – but any will do) then place the lettuce and the slices of tomato. Spread the other side with ketchup. Place the patties on top of the tomatoes then place cheese over patties. Top with caramelized onions then cover with the top bun.
And voila! You’ve got yourself some really juicy burgers! *happy dance*
Don’t forget to like, share and comment guys! Let us know if you’ve tried out the recipe. 🙂
-Ivy and CICI xx