Heya guys! Welcome to the first special of …
So let me start by introducing one of my best friends, Cynthia Okech AKA Cici, who will be taking us through these specials. If you follow me on snapchat (@ivymabelle), you know that we recently baked some super-duper, fantastic-looking AND delicious rainbow cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I had never successfully made any cake frosting before (despite 4 years of learning Home Science in high school -shame!) so I was quite happy this whole batch turned out FAB. Anyway, let’s get to the questions (I promise there won’t be too many).
KB: Hey Cicibabes! Lol haven’t used that name in a while. So, tell our readers a bit about yourself and what you are doing/ studying currently?
CICI: Haha well I think this is the hardest question ever. However, I can say that I am a really easy-going person once you get to know me. There is more than what meets the eye. Food and music are my greatest passions. As for what I’m doing currently, I am a BCOM student at the University of Nairobi.
KB: I’ve known you for what…6 years now?! Since day one, you’ve always had a passion for food (both eating and cooking ha-ha!) What drives this passion? Tell us where it all began, the whole backstory if you may.
CICI: I guess I can say from the moment that my tongue could identify the taste of different flavours. Haha and also when eating the same kind of foods at home became monotonous. I love to try new things…flavours…ingredients…spices…all of it. My family is not really crazy about food like me, but with support and encouragement from friends, especially from you, I decided to take my passion for food seriously.
KB: Aww! I’m glad I was of any help, and that you decided to pursue your passion for food, because you really are a great cook. Alright, let’s get started with the cooking. *screams with excitement*
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yield: 18 cupcakes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour [NB: Alternatively you could use self-rising flour (mandazi flour) instead of all-purpose flour and baking powder]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ¼ cups of milk, at room temperature
- Food colour (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet/purple)
1. Preheat oven to 190°c.
2. In a bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
3. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until its light and fluffy (almost looking white-ish). Slowly add eggs, one at a time, until combined.
4. Add vanilla essence.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture until well combined. Add half of the milk and mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining ingredients, scrapping the bowl as needed.
6. In 6 small bowls, mix a small amount of the food colours with little water then divide the cupcake batter into the bowls and mix well.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans in small amounts, one colour at a time until the rainbow pattern is formed.
8. Bake at 190°c for 18 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
9. Let cupcakes cool before frosting them.
VANILLA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 ounces/ 8 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 4 ounces/ 8 tbsps. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract until well mixed.
2. Put frosting in a piping bag with a large round tip (or in a zip lock bag and cut a hole at one corner).
Finally, spread frosting on cupcakes and ENJOY!
*PHOTOGRAPHY BY IVY MABELLE*
KB: Don’t these cupcakes remind you of “Rainbow Monkeys” (the toys/dolls that Number 3 really REALLY loved) from Kids Next Door?
CICI: Of course, especially the song!
“Rainbow Monkeys, Rainbow Monkeys,
Oh, so very round and super chunky,
Bringing love wherever they go,
Everyone’s made of a big rainbow.
Oh, red and orange, and pink and blue,
Rainbow Monkeys, rainbow Monkeys,
We love you!”
NB: Let us know if there are any recipes you would like to see us do on #cookingwithCICI.
Like, share and try out this recipe guys!
-Ivy and CICI xx