Don’t you just hate it when you go to a movie theatre and they are out of caramel popcorn? Personally, it ruins the whole experience for me as plain old popcorn just doesn’t cut it. If you’re like Cici and I, then this recipe is just for you! Well…it won’t exactly help you at the cinema but for all your movie nights at home, you are definitely sorted. Considering the rainy nights we’re about to spend in this season, it’s perfect timing!
Try it out and let us know what you’re sitting down to watch! ??
SERVING: About 2 standard cinema-sized popcorn bags
PREPARATION: 5 minutes
TIME: 20 minutes
- 6 tbsp of popcorn kernels
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 ½ tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened condensed milk (can be substituted with heavy/double cream)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
1. Place the popcorn kernels and oil in a pan over medium heat and cover the lid to allow the seeds to pop. Once ready, set the popcorn aside on a lined baking tray.
Tip: The popcorn is ready to remove from the heat when most of the seeds have popped and the pan stays silent.
2. In another sauce pan over medium-low heat, pour in the sugar and butter and leave to slowly melt until it caramelizes (turns golden brown). Do not stir the mixture. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 110o.
Tip: Be keen to ensure the sugar does not burn too soon; reduce the heat if necessary.
3. Once the caramel has formed and the burner is turned down to the lowest heat, add the condensed milk a little at a time while stirring. Be careful as this will initially release a lot of steam.
If any sugar crystals have formed, continue stirring as you add the condensed milk, they should slowly dissolve.
4. Remove the caramel sauce from the fire and immediately stir in the baking soda to make the sauce light and airy.
5. Pour this mixture over the popcorn and mix well to ensure they are coated evenly.
6. Place the popcorn in a preheated oven to toast for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Pick a movie and enjoy!
Don’t forget to like, comment and share!
— CICI and Ivy xxx